Managing Employees through Times of ChangeAssociation of Business Training
April 29, 2014 — 1,616 views
For all you managers, supervisors and business owners, be reminded that the key to a successful organization is happy employees. At times, in order for your business to succeed, it is vital that it undergoes change. Change is inevitable in any company, whether its expansion, merger or takeover. Regardless of what the change that is taking place is, it is crucial to effectively and carefully manage employees through these times of change.
Steps to be implemented
Here are a few simple steps that you could implement in your organization to help support your employees through business reconstructions:
- What is the purpose of change? Always explain clearly the nature and purpose of change to your employees to get their cooperation and support. Reason gives cooperation. Change effects all departments of your organization, so there should be good reason before implementing change. Get feedback from your employees and ensure that they are treated sensitively and sympathetically. Communication is vital. Conduct meetings if needed to brief your employees on the changes about to take place.
- Take your employees step by step through the procedures involved for the change to take effect. Reconstruction of a company is a lengthy and tedious process and your employees deserve to be involved and engaged in all the proceedings. Their shareholdings may be taken over by the acquirer or new company and they need to be reassured that they will have an equal or bigger stake in the newly formed company. Make sure to keep them emotionally secure and motivated.
- Change brings about uncertainty. Employees will worry about how these changes will affect their professional and personal lives, especially if it requires some of them to move to different cities. Some employees respond to change easier than others so don’t be defensive to employee’s emotions and help them through their uncertainty.
- Display a positive attitude about the change. Your employees will shadow the way you respond to organizational changes. You could even conduct workshops on coping with change and participate with your employees.
- Implement change slowly and steadily. Don’t stun your employees by implementing change overnight. Give them some time to get used to it and try giving motivational talks and team building exercises to help them deal with the process of change.
These five steps are sure to effectively manage your employees during corporate changes and lead your organization into a brighter future.