25 Keys for Building Successful And Enduring Business RelationshipsMr. Tim Connor
March 6, 2013 — 946 views
Over the years I have observed a number of business relationships that have failed and succeeded, whether they ended quickly, or years after. Whether they ended due to a breakdown in communication, or from someone letting their ego take over. Or whether they lasted due to both parties ability to keep the relationship grounded in trust, integrity and mutual acceptance.
I have had relationships with many of my clients for over 15 years and I have had some where there was a single speaking engagement and that was it. So what are some of the ingredients in those relationships that go the distance? Is it caving in from time to time or standing your ground? Is it maintaining consistent open and honest communication no matter how challenging the topic? Or was it just both parties’ simple intent to do what was necessary to go the distance?
I believe there are 25 Basics in all lasting and mutually beneficial relationships. Yes, there are many others but if you have the following 25, you are well on your way to enduring and mutually beneficial relationships.
- Maintain trust
- Stay connected
- Let go of your ego
- Don’t overuse technology
- Be resourceful
- Build psychological debt
- Let integrity rule
- Make it about service not winning
- Have a positive mindset
- Anticipate - don’t react
- Go the extra mile
- Let patience rule
- Know it’s not about being right
- Keep your perceptual filter clean
- See the lifetime value of a customer
- Manage conflict in a positive way
- Don’t make it about the money
- Accept differences
- Keep communication open and honest
- Maintain consistency no matter what
- Be yourself and let others be themselves
- Don’t be an invalidator
- Know that no one is ever totally right or wrong
- You are responsible to people not for them
- You get the behavior you reward
So how would you rate all of your current relationships based on the above topics?
Mr. Tim Connor
Connor Resource Group
Global renowned sales and management speaker and trainer and best selling author of over 80 books including several international best sellers.